What is Shopify, and why should my Hamilton store use it?
Shopify is the fastest growing ecommerce platform used by online stores both large and small. Our clients in Hamilton love Shopify for features like:
- A fully integrated POS system for brick and mortar stores.
- Accept card payments with Shop Pay, which also enables customers to checkout quickly, as well as over 100 other payment gateways.
- An easy to use admin packed with all the reports and functionality you need to manage your business anywhere.
- Sell your products on social media, marketplaces, and more.
New Zealand’s Shopify Experts
KiwiSprout is an official Shopify Expert for New Zealand. Shopify Experts are trusted agencies that are chosen by the Shopify team for their strong track record of delivering results for stores, check out our profile to learn more.
From humble beginnings as a Trade Me account started in 2015, Game Kings is now New Zealand's largest online store dedicated to tabletop gaming.
Learn more about how we redesigned their Shopify website with a conversion rate at more than double the average for their industry, effectively engaging customers across desktop and mobile.
How do we help Hamilton stores with Shopify?
KiwiSprout supports Hamilton businesses with services such as:
- Migrating to Shopify: We help migrate stores from other platforms to Shopify, making the process as smooth as possible.
- Shopify Website Redesign: We redesign Shopify stores to increase sales and customer satisfactions.
- Full Service Shopify Website Development: We partner with Hamilton stores to provide a full range of Shopify services including the design, development, marketing, and ongoing support of your Shopify store.
- Custom Shopify Applications and Automation: Our team are experts at building custom Shopify experiences, such as a mobile application for your Shopify store, or a custom built backend system to automate your business workflow.
Going Mobile With Shopify
Sisters & Co is one of New Zealand's leading high-end department stores bringing you many of the world's coveted designers online and at their Bay of Plenty store.
KiwiSprout are the dedicated Shopify partners for Sisters & Co, providing ongoing value with Shopify development, cross-channel advertising, and custom commerce experiences.
Learn how Sisters & Co is bringing their Shopify store directly to the home screen with their new mobile application for iOS and Android.
What local Hamilton stores have we worked with?
We have worked with a number of Hamilton stores to achieve results with Shopify, here are a few you may recognise:
- Game Kings: New Zealand’s #1 online board game store, all orders dispatch from their head office in Hamilton
- The Scullery: A trusted Hamilton store for quality kitchenware that sells online and at their store on Victoria Street.
- Little Mash: A Hamilton boutique store for children’s clothing and accessories that sells online and at their store on Barton Street.
Our top 5 tips for Hamilton Shopify stores
1. Start with a simple website
If you’re starting a new business with Shopify, we highly recommend setting yourself up with a simple website, such as a pre-built theme from Shopify, before committing to a custom built store. By starting with a simple website, you can test and validate your business idea much quicker, as well as get a better idea of what features of visuals you would want for when you are ready to build a custom website.
2. Use Google My Business
Google My Business (GMB) can target local customers from Hamilton, as well as build up your local reputation. With GMB, you can create a business listing that shows in the search results and Google Maps, giving your store a local presence. Customers can also leave reviews directly on your GMB listing, which other customers often look at when determining if a store is trustworthy.
3. Create high quality product photos
Beautiful product photos are on the easiest and most important ways to make your store look professional, as well as visually appealing. Photos play a critical role in the buying process for customers, which is why you should invest time in making sure your photos are high quality, visually cohesive, and appealing to the eye.
On the topic of making your photos visually cohesive, your goal should be to make your product photos have a consistent background colour, image proportions (e.g. all square or all rectangle), and style of photography.
4. Set good shipping policies
You should seriously consider offering either free shipping or incentive-based shipping, such as free shipping for orders over $100. Shipping policies are a key component of the buying process, and a big cause for people dropping off at the checkout stage.
Shipping policies aren’t just about offering good shipping rates either, where possible provide delivery estimates and make your shipping information clearly visible at least in the cart, but ideally earlier in the buying stage.
If you have a brick and mortar store, you should also set up a pickup option which is popular for local Hamilton customers. In Shopify, you can now enable pickup to show as an option during the checkout stage, and then you can send them a notification through Shopify when their order is ready to be collected. Read more about setting local pickup in Shopify here.
5. Create a Google Shopping campaign
Google Shopping campaigns are a type of advertising format with Google Ads, and is one of the quickest ways to produce regular cash flow if done correctly. Before you start advertising though, you typically will want to satisfy this criteria:
- Your products have a profit-margin of around 40% or better.
- You stock an inventory of at least 20 different products.
- Your products meet the Google Shopping eligibility requirements.
Your first goal with a Shopping campaign should be a $2.50 conversion value / cost, which means that for every $1 in advertising spent, you get $2.50 back. This is a “break even” on most sales, assuming an average 40% margin, but beyond the first sale you can generate more sales through the customer with email marketing, providing a good experience, and other activities to bring more sales and customer reach to your store. After you have achieved a $2.50 conversion value/cost, your next goal should be increasing that value higher while maintaining or extending the quantity of people you reach with advertising.
You may be interested in our Sisters & Co Advertising case study, where we achieved a $15.62 conversion value / cost through Google Ads.